Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nothing To Say

I swear to God I have nothing to say.

I have no idea why people even read this blog. Not that I'm telling those few that do read it to stop. But I really don't have anything to say today. But I want to try and stay in practice and I want to write a few times a week, so I'm putting up a post.

Maybe I can write about how my day went yesterday.

It started out like every other weekday has: I woke up an hour before my alarm and forced myself to get ready for work. I worked a half day teaching Math Remediation to my students. I wish I still worked full days during the summer, but the lack of enrollment has forced me into Part Time status. One of my students watches as I model the problems on the board, then just as I'm about to erase the board, he says, "I need to write that down. Hold on." What are you waiting for? Just write it down as I'm doing the modeling. Why are you wasting everyone's time by making us wait for you to write it down? Maybe I'm just being nit-picky?

After work I headed over to the college and spoke to my boss about possibly getting more hours. I stopped at the president's office and picked something up for my brother. I swung by my brother's workplace, dropped the stuff off, and talked about baseball for a while. Then I headed down to see my mom. She was pretty busy at work, so I had to hang out and pretend I was looking at jewelry while I waited. It was around this time that I started to not feel so good. I noticed a little dizziness when I was teaching, but I just figured it was because I didn't really have much for breakfast other than a chocolate chip Quaker bar. Sometimes florescent lights make me feel dizzy too, so I just shrugged it off as nothing. While I was waiting for my mom to finish up with her customer I just tried to use some mind-over-matter to convince myself that I was fine. I chatted with my mom for a bit, then took off to find something to eat.

Instead I stopped at a small market and bought a pop. It helped for a while. I just needed sugar, I guess. I stopped by the bar and had a couple drinks. I went to a Denny's in a hotel down near Niagara Falls. I always think that the food there is good until i actually eat the stuff. Why is it that I always forget how crappy the food is there? Why can't chain restaurant food taste as good as the pictures look?

By the time I finished eating it was time to head down to my director's house to have our meeting. In my last post I mentioned that I'm working as Propmaster for a local theater group. This was the first meeting for the show. The Assistant Director and the Tech Director joined my director and me and it was nice and relaxed. It was a little bitter-sweet though. It turns out that this will be the last summer musical that this group will be doing. After eighteen years of producing musicals, the group is putting all of that on hold. There is just a lack of money and there's really not a strong theater community anymore in Niagara Falls. It's kind of sad, really.

So needless to say everyone involved is trying to make this show the best it can be. I still remember working on my first show with this group. I was sixteen or seventeen years old and I worked hand-in-hand with a student from Niagara University who worked both as the Tech Director and one of the supporting roles in the show. I just assumed that this was how all musicals were put on: Everyone in the show also had a part to play behind the scenes. That's definitely not the way it is anymore. The cast members are hard-pressed to do anything other than rest their voices and do stretches. They don't hammer nails or move set pieces or paint flats. They don't transport props in their vehicles. They don't worry about anyone but themselves. It's sad really. I am one hundred percent positive this is why the production company is putting musicals on hold. It costs money to put these shows on and when everyone is doing one job and one job only, it's hard to save money on stuff.

I kind of went off on a tangent there.

After the meeting I drove straight home and crashed. I was hoping that I would sleep amazingly after the long, busy day I had, but that was not the case.

I woke up an hour before my alarm this morning. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment