Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Achievement Unlocked

What goal did you set for yourself and achieve this year? Did you achieve something you didn't think you could?

I had a pretty rough 2010. At the end of that horrible year I told myself that I wasn't going to make any New year's Resolutions out-loud. Every time I did that in the past, I found a way to get out of them. I was too busy, I had too much stress, I just plain forgot. Either way I felt bad once I came to the realization that I had failed at yet another year's worth of resolutions. The worst part was that I had vocalized (or posted on Facebook or Twitter) the resolution, so people would ask me "Hey, what ever happened to you cutting cheese out of your diet this year?" or "I thought you said you were only shopping locally this year?" or "Didn't you say you were going to stop drinking while the sun was out?"

So this time 'round I didn't say anything to anyone about the one goal I had set for myself for 2011. I didn't tell my family. I didn't tell my friends. I didn't tell anyone. Once the first weekend of 2011 was finished, I had begun writing. My goal was to write every day of the year. But let's be honest: I was just asking for it with that. So by the end of January I refined my goal. I was just going to write more. Maybe once a day, maybe a couple times a week. But no matter what, I was going to write more. I had a Blogger app on my phone, so I didn't have an excuse.

I didn't set out to be a famous blogger. That thought actually never even crossed my mind. And I honestly didn't think anyone would read the damn thing. I didn't even decide if my blog was going to have a theme or not (which it definitely does not). It was for me first and if someone else stumbled upon it, so be it. There are a lot of blogs out there that are strictly about current events or just about so-and-so's weight loss adventures. Mine was not going to be like that. Although I would talk about cooking, it wasn't going to be a cooking blog. And although I am freakin' hilarious, I was not going to write a funny/comical blog. I was just going to write. I'm still figuring it out. All I know is that I have always enjoyed writing and it was one thing that had been missing from my life. 2011 has definitely not been the best year ever, but it has been a LOT better than 2010 was that's for damn sure.

I gave myself a goal and I followed through on it. I think it helped that everyone didn't know about it. I think it helped that i was committed to making this year just a little bit better than the one before it. I think it helped that I was for once serious about getting serious.


No comments:

Post a Comment