Monday, December 5, 2011

Theme Song(s)

If your life was a television show, what would its theme song be? What music would be cued at the start of the show or when you entered a scene?


I wish there was a song that was released in 2011 that spoke to me. I wish I wasn't so stuck in the past to get into current music. But I am, so I can't. But I do have a couple/few songs that have spoken to me and cheer me up when I need it. These, obviously, are not songs that were written, recorded or released in 2011, but they did help me throughout the year, so that must count for something, right?


"All Summer" by Best Coast, featuring Kid Cudi.

I found this song on a compilation from someone on twitter and every time I was cold, every time I was missing the beach, every time I thought that the winter was going to go on forever, this song would come on my iPod and it would cheer me up and warm me up and put me in a better mood.

This was the best link I could find of this song. It doesn't do the recording justice.

The chorus and bridge always does it for me:

All year long
We wait for sun
At the beach
We come undone
All summer drinkin water
Trying to keep your eyes dry

I'm not sure what it is about these lyrics that make me feel better... maybe it's the delivery. Maybe it's the thought behind them. But each and every time this song would show up on my Shuffle Play, I would have to listen to it again. And again.


"Hey" by The Pixies

This song immediately takes me back to the early 1990s. It reminds me of simpler times. It reminds me of happier times. It reminds me of my best friends. And most of all it cheers me up. The song is not deep by any stretch of the imagination. The lyrics are fun and comical. And maybe that's why I enjoy it so much.

I wish I could just imbed the recording of the song, but this clip will do.

hey! Been trying to meet you.
hey! Must be a devil between us
or whores in my head
whores at my door
whores in my bed
but hey, where have you been?
if you go i will surely die
we're chained

"uh" said the man to the lady
"uh" said the lady to the man she adored
and the whores like a choir
go "uh" all night and Mary ain't you tired of this
"uh" is the sound that the mother makes when the baby breaks
we're chained

Like I said, the lyrics are comical and fun and really, they don't make much sense. And i think that's why I loved it so much when I was a teenager. I didn't have to think too much when listening to this one.

What if my entire life was a musical? Well, if my entire life was a musical, I would need Sondheim to write it. He's a genius. I wish I could live in "Company." That song Being Alive is amazing. The whole show is great, but that song is so beautiful and haunting and biographical and sad and uplifting.

But what about a song that would play every time I entered the scene on the television show about my life? What would it be? Would it be like the theme to "Welcome Back Kotter"? Or maybe the theme to "Barney Miller"? The bass line is so amazing. And the horns? Oh yeah... that would be sweet if that played every time I walked onto the set. I think my life would be so much better of the "Barney Miller" theme played every where I went. How could you be in a bad mood when that was playing??

But I didn't really listen to those theme songs very much (or at all) this year. But I did spend a lot of time listening to this song (and watching the show) and wishing I had a small, tight-knit group of friends that i saw and hung out with every day. Friends that I could spend holidays with. Friends that would be regulars at a neighborhood bar with me. Friends who were always there.

That would be great.

2 comments:

  1. some days, i feel like this is the theme song to my entire life: http://youtu.be/MK6TXMsvgQg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahahahaha!

    YES. Just going non-stop without a break in the action. I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete