Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Do Titles Matter?

Whenever I write a blog, I think of the title last because to be honest, I don't really know what I'm going to write about until I'm finished.

I don't want to write a title and then be trapped my it.

"Damn, I titled today's blog 'The Visor In My Car Is Too Short.' Now I have to write about THAT for THIS ENTIRE POST."

I realize I could go back and change the title after I write, but I like to fool myself into thinking anything I write is permanent. Like I'm blogging with a chisel.

But do titles make or break if you're going to spend your time reading a blog? Are you judging a blog by its cover? Are you sometimes upset you spent fifteen minutes reading a blog because you thought "The Hub Doesn't Exist" was about airports?

People say DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER all the time, but let's be honest: how else are you supposed to judge it? We can't be expected to read every book ever. That's like talking to every ugly person in the world to see if they have a good personality. NO ONE DOES THAT.

When you started reading this blog, did you expect it to be funny? A commentary on life? A rant from a semi-sane thirty-something? None of the above?

Going back a bit: wouldn't it be great if you DID have to blog with a chisel? How many less blogs would you have? Can someone invent a red pen chisel so I can correct grammatical errors set in stone?

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment