Monday, March 21, 2011

No Gumption, or Why I Am A Curmudgeon

I feel like I didn't get anything accomplished this weekend. And I don't mean that in a "I wish the weekend was longer" kind of way.

This past weekend was actually quite slow moving, but I feel like I didn't do anything.
That's not true. I watched about six NCAA basketball games on TV at home. And I read for about four hours or so. And I did a load of laundry. And I went grocery shopping and went for brunch. But I don't feel like I did anything.
If that makes sense.

I could have gone to see a local Irish band play at a bar, but it's the same bar I hang out at and that would have made three consecutive days at the same bar, and I'm not sure if I'm ready to be that guy yet. But after I decided not to go, I found out a few of my friends that I never see were there. And then I saw pictures online of the bar packed full of people and everyone smiling and laughing and having a good time and I felt depressed.  Not really depressed, but upset. There were people having fun somewhere that I frequent and I wasn't one of the people having fun!

Boo!

There were huge chunks of time this weekend where I just sat on the couch and flipped the channels. I had the time to have fun, but I just couldn't motivate myself to get up and do it.

And Sunday was the St. Patrick's Day Parade.  It is literally two blocks from where I live. And I'm sure it was packed. But I decided to leave the city to avoid it all.  I drove somewhere to do stuff instead of walking to where fun was. And as I tried to get back to my apartment I had to ride through huge crowds of people stumbling around and ignoring (or just not noticing) traffic signals and traffic patterns and cross walks. And I gave them all the stink eye. It pissed me off that they were in my way and were not crossing when and where they were supposed to.

But I think I was actually angry that they were having fun and I wasn't.

What's wrong with me?

1 comment: